Interesting Things Going on At TGC
The Gospel Coalition is involved in all sorts of interesting activities right now. If you are unaware of the recent withdrawal of Tullian Tchividjian from the organization you can read some interesting and frankly important information here where Kevin DeYoung does a nice job giving a synopsis (maybe) of the issues. They are not little ones and they center around the nature of how a Christian deals with sin and the commands of the Scripture. Tchividjian essentially makes any serious obedience unnecessary because we are under grace. Though I appreciate his love of grace in all that I read of him I find that he misses the point almost completely on how grace now frees us and empowers us to obey our Lord. Secondly, I see him having an inappropriate understanding of the relationship between Law and Grace which makes any movement forward in this whole thing essentially a waste of time.
The following are a few useful articles for you to read if this little post piques your interest (honestly, just following the links on DeYoung’s article will keep you busy):
- Todd Pruitt He has several more excellent links and some very useful comments after them.
- Tullian Tchividjian We see here some of his ideas. “Are we free to fail?” “Are we free to be ordinary?” Of course we are, Jesus did it all. And therein lies the problem. Note how this article is filled with skin-tingling thoughts but really light on clear biblical exposition to support it. Here he gets irritated with the claim that he is pushing a view that celebrates failure though he doesn’t really address it in reality.
- Jen Wilkin This is the article that seemed to irritate Tullian.
- Jared Oliphant Responds to Tullian’s response.
- Carl Trueman Asks some very, very, very, very practical questions. The kind that tend to not get asked but should in debates like these. I have to invite him to preach at our church some day.
If you are interested, here is a three part series I did on the doctrine of sanctification. If you listen to them you will see the great chasm between myself (along with others) and Tchividjian. Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.
Regarding Josh Harris and CJ Mahaney stepping down, I am glad they did. Many troubling things over several years have caused me to take a big step backward to wait until more comes to light. Pretty shocking and sobering to read that a pastor and brother-in-law of Mahaney now admits under oath that he knew of the molestation and never contacted the authorities. One wonders if this is truly the very first time he admitted it to anyone. My mind is boggled.
Posted on May 22, 2014, in Bible Observations, Church, gospel, Theology and tagged Carl Trueman, CJ Mahaney, CLC, Josh Harris, sanctification, SGM, Tchividjian, TGF. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.